This course will provide you with high-quality, advanced skills and knowledge in sustainable crop, livestock and land management. You will gain practical skills on our college farm combined with advanced scientific, technical and business enterprise skills which are key components of the course. You will also have the opportunity to gain valuable industry experience through the completion of an extended work experience. Our unique course in Agriculture offers a combination of practical, scientific, technical and business principles learning to underpin a career in the agricultural sector. By applying such principles in a vocational context and understanding the appropriate methods of enquiry for this subject area you will gain a thorough understanding of the field and will enhance your employability skills.
You will need:
- 32-48 UCAS points including a relevant science OR
- Advanced Extended Diploma in Agriculture, Countryside Management, Fisheries Management, Horticulture or Animal Care with good references OR
- An equivalent Advanced level qualification with GCSEs in English, Maths and Science at A*- C
We also welcome applications from mature students who will be considered individually on experience rather than qualifications.
The aim of this Foundation Degree in Agriculture is to provide you with a vocationally relevant Higher Education qualification, the content of which reflects the knowledge, skills and competencies expected by the agricultural industry.
Specifically, these include:
- the management of a range of crop science and production systems, specifically in relation to growth, protection, nutrition and soil management.
- the knowledge and application of science and technology for optimum crop production, harvesting and transportation.
- the knowledge and application of animal science and livestock production systems, specifically in relation to livestock husbandry, nutrition, health and welfare.
- a knowledge and understanding of future demands for improved sustainability in the agricultural sector and the use of agricultural technologies and biosciences to achieve improved efficiency and production.
- the investigation and understanding of sustainable management practices to facilitate the optimal and innovate use of land based resources technology.
- the applied business and management skills and knowledge necessary to effectively manage within the agricultural sector.
The course provides a good quality, broad-based training in the principles and practices of agriculture and land management. This degree is based around a framework of sustainable agriculture and land management activities, ensuring that graduates have a firm understanding of bio-sciences, business management, agri-technology, research and marketing. This will enable you to progress into a wide range of careers in particular but not exclusive to the agricultural sector.
The units which make up the course include:
Year 1 (Level 4)
- Business Development in Agriculture and Land Management
- Scientific Methods for Agricultural Management
- Sustainable Crop Production
- Livestock Husbandry, Health and Welfare
Year 2 (Level 5)
- Sustainable Land Management
- Business Enterprise in the Agricultural Sector
- Agricultural Science and Biotechnology
- Investigating Sustainable Agriculture
Trips over the two years of the course will include a range of arable and livestock facilities. Food production organisations and diverse business enterprises. There will be study tours in the UK and Europe to investigate wider agricultural practice. Students will have the opportunity to take additional qualifications in first aid, the safe use of pesticides and forklift handling. There may be additional registration fees required for learners wanting to undertake additional qualifications.
The majority of assessments will be conducted through reports and presentations. Practical assessment of competency will be undertaken in three of the units throughout the two years. There will be final exams set in the first and second year for four of the units.
Further study and career options
Progression for successful learners will lead to study at the University of Bedfordshire for a final year to gain a Bachelor of Science Degree. The qualification will provide learners with access into employment in the industry or further progression to other Higher Education institutes.
Study tours are not compulsory and it is expected that additional costs for study tours will equate to around £300. Learners must buy and wear correct PPE for practical skills activities. A full list of equipment is available on request. The cost of additional safety equipment should not exceed £90.
If commuting to Shuttleworth College will be difficult for you, then you can choose to live in our halls of residence on campus. Priority is given to those who live the furthest distance from the College so make sure you book early to avoid disappointment. Visit our accommodation page for more information. Visit our accommodation page for more information - www.shuttleworth.ac.uk/accommodation.