Pesticide Application (PA1): Safe Use of Pesticides NPTC Level 2 Award
This course will enable you to achieve the legally required qualification for the control of pesticide regulations, and is designed for anyone applying pesticides on a commercial basis. This one-day pesticide course is a pre-requisite for studying the PA2, PA6A and PA4 Safe Use of Pesticides qualifications. The focus of this course (PA1) will be on the safety and legal aspects of handling pesticides. It will take place on site at Shuttleworth College and is delivered by one of Shuttleworth's qualified instructors. For those just needing a refresher please contact the sales team for further details.
There are no entry requirements for this course – you will just an interest in learning the basics of pesticide application.
You will study the following topics:
- Identifying those key aspects of legislation which apply to the use of pesticides
- Identifying the precautions necessary to use a product safely, using product label information
- Identifying, selecting and understanding the maintenance and storage of the correct personal protective equipment for use with a particular product as determined by a label and/or COSHH risk assessment
- Following appropriate personal hygiene procedures to prevent personal contamination
- Following the appropriate procedures for dealing with accidental personal contamination
- Understanding the correct procedures for the storage of pesticides
- Understanding the correct procedures for the disposal of empty pesticide containers, surplus pesticide and washings
- Understanding the records that must be kept
- Understanding the situations where pesticide application may pose a risk to people or the environment
- Understanding protective clothing and environmental safety.
- Understanding record keeping.
- Understanding pesticide preparation and storage
- Transportation and disposal.
The assessment for NPTC courses normally takes place 10 to 14 days after the initial training and is a full day – the cost is included in the course fees.
Further study and career options
The qualification gained from completing this course will be beneficial for you career if you work in the agriculture and horticulture industries, or if you are self-employed in such a role as gardener or groundskeeper. You can also also study Pesticide Application (PA2): Ground Crop Sprayer NPTC Level 2 Award, and Pesticide Application (PA6A): Hand Held Applicators NPTC Level 2 Award.
To take part in this course you must bring PPE (personal protective equipment) and other tools and equipment as listed on the joining instructions. You can also view the PPE and tools list here. These will be emailed to you a few weeks before the course is due to start – please contact us to confirm you have the required items.