Art & Design Intermediate (Level 2)
This study programme will introduce you to a wide range of art, design and craft techniques through a mix of studio-based projects, lectures, teamwork and one-to-one teaching. You will develop a comprehensive portfolio of work that reflects improvements in your ability. The study programme will give you an insight to the Art and Design pathway, allowing you to explore various disciplines within this area. You will be taught by a range of subject specialist tutors.
To begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 1 Year
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-D or 9-3 ideally including English and maths
Duration: 2 Years
- Art & Design BTEC Level 1 Diploma with Functional Skills
3 GCSEs at grades A*-G or 9-1 ideally including English and maths, and a keen interest in art and design.
Other relevant levels of qualification or experience will be considered.
- Subject units:
- 2D and 3D communication
- Contextual references in art and design
- Exploring and developing ideas
- Producing art and design outcomes
- Building a portfolio
- Working in the art and design industry.
- You will also study two specialist units, which may include graphic design, moving image and textiles design (surface pattern design).
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- There will also be trips planned throughout the year to various galleries, museums and exhibitions. Past trips have included Tate Modern, V&A, Pitt Rivers and the Design Museum.
You will be assessed at regular intervals during the study programme. The project briefs will tell you what you need to do and tutors will advise on how to improve your performance.
Art & Design Pearson BTEC Level 2 Diploma
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
Further study and career options
Successful completion at merit level or above will enable you to progress on to our Art & Design Level 3. Entry is subject to successful interview.
You will undertake practical work over four days a week. Running alongside the practical project work you will be given opportunities to develop and apply Functional Skills. This will lead to standalone qualifications in mathematics and English and are essential for a successful career within the creative industries and other areas of working life. If you are aged 16-18, tuition fees, exam fees and College membership are free. However, there are additional costs associated with some courses. To take part in this course there will be an additional fee of £40 for course materials and £40 for trips/visits.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance