Site Carpentry Intermediate (Level 2)
This Intermediate study programme will provide you with the skills, knowledge and experience you will need to carry out a range of joinery work to the standards agreed by the leading industry bodies. This study programme will enable you to gain a good overall understanding of the wood trade, while also providing you with industry-recognised skills and qualifications, ensuring that you complete the course with a good grounding for future career development.
To begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 1 Year
Duration: 2 Years
- Site Carpentry BTEC Level 1 Diploma with Functional Skills
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-G or 9-1 ideally including English and maths, and a keen interest in carpentry.
- Subject units:
- Health and safety
- Understanding Technical Information
- Understanding Construction Technology
- You will also study the following additional units:
- Carrying out structural carcassing operations
- Carrying out first fixings operations
- Carrying out second fixings operations
- Carrying out maintenance to non-structural carpentry work
- Preparing and using carpentry and joinery portable power tools
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
You will be continuously assessed as the study programme progresses, with your skills and knowledge being measured against set standards as the units of training are completed. There will also be a practical exam and a series of unit tests.
Site Carpentry Cskills Level 2 Diploma
- Health, Safety and Environment (CSCS) Test
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
Further study and career options
On successful completion of this study programme you could progress to Carpentry Level 3. Alternatively, you could gain employment as a carpentry apprentice, where you can convert your qualification into an NVQ Level 2 within Bedford College by collecting work-based evidence.
Students who are motivated and committed can advance at a faster rate. Completion time for adults will depend on the outcome of prior assessment of your current skills and experience, together with your attendance. After this is completed, individual training plans can be devised. If you are aged 16-18, tuition fees, exam fees and College membership are free. However, to take part in this course, you will be required to pay £20 for uniform/equipment and £20 for a course textbook to aid your studies. You will also need to pay £10 to attend educational event(s) that complement your course.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance