Hairdressing Intermediate (Level 2)
This intermediate study programme will focus on the development of the underlying principles and practical skills required in the hairdressing industry, and will prepare you for progression onto higher level study. You will learn how to consult with clients and promote products and services, along with developing a variety of hairdressing techniques.
Entry requirementsTo begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 1 Year
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-D or 9-3 ideally including English and maths
- Hairdressing City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma
Duration: 2 Years
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-G or 9-1 ideally including English and maths, and a keen interest in hairdressing. Other relevant levels of qualifications or experience will be considered.
- Subject units:
- Working in hairdressing
- Maintaining health and safety in the salon
- Client consultation services
- Shampooing and conditioning the hair and scalp
- Cutting womens hair
- Styling and dressing womens hair
- Colouring hair
- Perming and neutralising hair
- Promoting products and services to clients
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- You will also study to achieve the following additional qualification:
You will be continually assessed by your tutors in the Colleges salons. It must be stressed that full commitment is essential for success, and you will be required to pass written end of unit assessment papers set by the awarding body, as well as unit assignments.
Hairdressing City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
Further study and career options
On successful completion of this study programme you can progress to further study in a relevant subject. Alternatively you can choose to take an Apprenticeship in hairdressing, or seek employment as a junior stylist in a range of professional establishments.
We regard good appearance, conduct and attitude as an essential and ongoing part of the course, and you will be required to wear the designated uniform and adhere to professional codes of appearance and conduct at all time. During the course you may be required to participate as a model for services by your peers. You will be required to purchase a uniform for £40 and personal equipment for £300, and pay for trips/visits at a cost of £25.
If you are aged 16-18, tuition fees, exam fees and College membership are free.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance