Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair IMI Level 2 Diploma
This qualification is a one year course which combines classroom based knowledge with practical skills relevant to the motor vehicle industry.
- Completion of Level 1 Diploma in Motor Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
- BKSB Assessment
During the course you will study a range of topics, including:
- Carrying out routine vehicle maintenance with inclusion of MOT specifications
- Engines, including lubrication systems, cooling systems and engine management systems
- Electrics, including charging, starting and regulatory systems.
- Chassis units including ABS, ESP, advanced suspension and steering systems
- Transmission including clutches, manual and automatic gearboxes, final drive units and differentials.
- Engineering which complies with industry needs and standards.
- Contributing to workplace good housekeeping
- Health and safety
- Positive working relationships
- Removing and replacing light vehicle engine units and components
- Removing and replacing light vehicle electrical units and components
- Removing and replacing light vehicle chassis units and components.
- Removing and replacing light vehicle transmission units and components
- Conducting pre and post-work vehicle inspections.
Every unit is assessed via a coursework based phase test and an on-line multiple choice assessment.
Practical: Every unit is assessed by observations combined with questions and task sheets.
Further study and career options
Students can progress onto a Level 3 course. This Level 2 qualification also prepares technicians for ATA assessment at Service Maintenance Technician level.
To take part in this course you will need to provide suitable personal protective equipment (PPE) for use in the College workshops. If you are aged 16-18, tuition fees, exam fees and College membership are free. However, there are additional costs associated with some courses. For example, you may be required to purchase specialist uniforms, equipment or books.
This course could be FREE! You could be eligible for free study if you are unemployed and on a qualifying benefit. Find out more at www.bedford.ac.uk/concessions