Music Intermediate (Level 2)
This study programme will introduce you to practical skills in performing, sound recording, composing and music technology, including the creation and production of music through the use of computer and sound recording systems.
Entry requirementsTo begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 1 Year
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-D or 9-3 ideally including English and maths
- Music Technology Level 1 Extended Certificate with Functional Skills
Duration: 2 Years
- Evidence of previous musical study or instrumental skills
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-G or 9-1 ideally including English and maths, and a keen interest in music and evidence of previous musical study.
- Subject units:
- Sequencing – using software packages such as Logic Pro to compose, edit and mix music and soundtracks
- The music business – researching and exploring areas of the industry such as record labels, recording studios, live performance and the jobs associated with these
- Sound recording – learning how to set up and operate equipment in the College’s professional standard recording studios for the capture and processing of sound
- Performance – working in groups to develop your skills using traditional and electronic instruments for live performances
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- You will have the chance to go on a trip. Previous trips include industry conventions/exhibitions such as Music Live, and educational trips to The British Music Experience.
Music BTEC Level 2 Extended Certificate
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
Further study and career options
On successful completion of the study programme (and achieving Functional Skills at Level 2) you could progress on to Music Technology Level 3. Alternatively you could progress into employment in the music industry.
You will be required to provide your own headphones and memory stick/hard drive to participate on this course. Advice on suitable equipment will be provided at your interview.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance