Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship Level 2
If you are already working in a school and want to gain an industry recognised qualification to demonstrate your skills and develop your career, then this apprenticeship is for you. You will study a range of units which will help you in your role as a teaching assistant, learning support assistant or special needs assistant, including safeguarding, supporting positive behaviour and providing displays in schools. On successful completion, there are a range of further qualifications that you will be able to study for in order to continue to improve your career prospects.
Entry requirementsGrade requirements:
You will need a minimum of three GCSEs at grades A*-D or 9-4, including English and maths, or Level 1 Functional Skills.
You should also have an interest in, and commitment to, working with children and/or young people and be willing to undergo a compulsory Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check for suitability for working with children and young people.
Course contentDuring this apprenticeship you will study a range of topics, including:
- Child and young person development
- Safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
- Communication and professional relationships with children, young people and adults
- Equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people
You will be assessed through practical demonstrations and observations in the workplace, as well as exams in College.
You will gain the following qualifications:
Supporting Teaching & Learning in Schools City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Equality & Diversity NCFE Level 2 Certificate
- Personal, Learning and Thinking Skills
- English, Maths and ICT qualifications if required.
Further study and career options
Further study: On completion of this apprenticeship you could progress on to a higher qualification including;
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools for those who have the potential and opportunity to work at this level
- Level 3 Award in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
- Level 3 Certificate in Cover Supervision of pupils in Schools
- Level 3 Diploma in Specialist Support for Teaching and Learning in Schools
- Level 2 qualifications in Children's Care, Learning and Development, Play work or Youth work for those wishing to transfer to other areas working with children and young people.
You could pursue full-time employment as a teaching assistant, classroom assistant or learning support assistant and work your way up with your newly acquired knowledge and skills.
Acceptance will be subject to interview by the apprenticeship team and following results of skills assessment for Functional Skills ability and occupational aptitude.