This study programme will ensure that you develop the skills and vocational knowledge needed for employment in the floristry industry. It will give you the fundamental skills required to create beautiful floral designs and to help run a successful business. The study programme will provide the essential foundation skills and a springboard if you wish to progress onto a Level 3 course, or find work in the floristry industry. Floristry is a diverse sector that includes private and corporate floristry, sales and marketing and buying for flower companies, creative demonstrations and event work.
To begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 1 Year
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-D or 9-3 ideally including English and maths
- Equivalent Level 1 qualification
This study programme will incorporate elements of the principal techniques used in floristry, whilst also developing your understanding of the floristry industry.
- Subject units:
- An introduction to art and design for florists
- Identifying, checking and monitoring the quality of incoming cut materials
- Identifying and maintaining the condition of plants and planted designs
- Planning, preparing and constructing tied floristry designs
- Planning, preparing and constructing funeral designs
- Planning, preparing and constructing floral arrangements
- Planning, preparing and constructing wedding designs with floral materials
- The displaying of floristry goods
- Introduction to working in the floristry industry
- Introduction to function decorating using floral displays
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- You will have the opportunity to visit floristry events, flower markets and take part in competitions.
- You will also have the opportunity to develop your skills in commercial work.
A variety of assessment methods will be used, including presentations, case studies, portfolios and practical assessments.
Floristry NPTC Level 2 Diploma
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
Further study and career options
The study programme ensures that you will develop the vocational knowledge, understanding and skills that are required for progressions onto a Level 3 course, or employment in the floristry industry. Floristry is a diverse industry, and this course will also help prepare you for potential employment in private and corporate floristry, sales and marketing, buying for flower companies, creative demonstrations and event work.
If commuting to Shuttleworth College will be difficult for you, then you can choose to live in our halls of residence on campus. Priority is given to those who live the furthest distance from the College so make sure you book early to avoid disappointment. Visit our accommodation page for more information. Visit our accommodation page for more information - www.shuttleworth.ac.uk/accommodation.
To take part in this course you will need to pay an additional fee of approximately £45 for required clothing and £900 for flowers. You may be able to claim support towards this cost. Please contact the college Enquiries & Guidance team for more information on 01234 291000.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance
If you are aged 19 or over you may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan to help you pay the tuition fees for this course. Find out more at www.bedford.ac.uk/loans. You can also pay by instalments to help make the cost of this course more affordable.