This full-time study programme is ideal if you have completed a Level 1 Hospitality qualification or have sufficient industrial experience and wish to progress. It's an ideal stepping stone if you require some additional support with your learning.
Entry requirementsTo begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 1 Year
Duration: 2 Years
- Introduction to the Hospitality Industry City & Guilds Level 1 Diploma with Functional Skills
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-G or 9-2 ideally including English and maths
This study programme will equip you with the skills you need to prepare, cook and present food to a professional standard. You will learn how to prepare, cook and finish a selection of soups, sauces, meats, poultry, vegetables, pasta and rice dishes. The programme will also enhance your knowledge of teamwork and food safety practices. You will also be learning and experiencing a wide range of skills in our fully licensed training restaurant.
- Subject units:
- Prepare and cook meat dishes
- Prepare and cook poultry dishes
- Prepare and cook fish dishes
- Prepare and cook vegetable dishes
- Prepare and cook pasta dishes
- Prepare and cook rice dishes
- Prepare and cook sauces
- Maintain health and safety and storage in the work place
- Maintain and handle knives
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- You will also study for a Level 2 Food Safety certificate.
Practical assessments and written knowledge assignments.
Professional Cookery City & Guilds NVQ Level 2 Diploma
- Food Safety Level 2 Certificate (if required)
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
Further study and career options
Once you have completed this study programme you can progress on to a number of other hospitality and catering courses, such as our Professional Cookery City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma.
To take part in this study programme you will need to purchase a 25 Restaurant uniform and suitable footwear. For new students uniforms and knives will cost approximately £250. For progressing students the cost will be £50. Each year during the study programme, you will have the opportunity to participate in annual exchange visits, and a wide range of national and international competitions. If you are aged 16-18, tuition fees, exam fees and College membership are free.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance